Friday, September 16, 2011

RECIPE FRIDAY: Chicken Parm Meatball Subs

Loki: I realize that my kinko story was not as exciting as dear Stella going on a blind date. Not just any blind date but a blind date that her whole family is routing for. I can't help it that I don't have an exciting life. If you would like I could recall all the gushy details of me and Big T's meeting...but I believe that would not go over as well. I am a sharer....Stella is not. So you will just have to read between the lines and she can talk more about TallBoy if/when they continue dating. So for now.... back to
                       RECIPE FRIDAY

Chicken Parm Meatball Subs:

Meatballs:
1 1/2 pound ground chicken
1 tbl grill seasoning blend (I use Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
1 large egg
1 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
handful of chopped parsely leaves


Place ground chicken in a bowl and season with grill seasoning. (sometimes I can not find ground chicken so I have substitued with ground turkey or even ground pork). Add egg, half of the grated cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, and a serious drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil to the bowl. Mix the meat and form 12 large meatballs. Squish the balls to flatten them like mini oval meatloaves. Bake the meatballs for 15 minutes until golden and firm.


While the meatballs bake...make the sauce.

The Sauce:
3 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
2 large garlic cloves

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper
8-10 fresh basil leaves, torn or shredded

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and garlic and cook 5 minutes then remove the garlic cloves. Add crushed red pepper flakes then tomatoes and stir in the chicken stock. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and simmer 10 minutes, adjust seasoning and stir in the basil.

(Be careful adding the crushed tomatoes to the oil...it will splatter)

Turn the broiler on after you take the meatballs out of the oven...turn to low. Cut Sub Rolls, place the meatballs in the bread and cover with provolone cheese (sliced or shredded) and some parmesan cheese as well. Place in the broiler to allow the cheese to melt. This will only take a few minutes...
Take out of oven and enjoy! You use the sauce to dip the sandwhich in.

The recipe calls for you to place the meatballs in the sauce and then put it on the sandwhich. I find this to be too messy and would make the bread soggy. I like dipping it in the sauce better. You can do whatever you choose.

Also the recipe makes a ton of sauce. We usually have a ton left over. It is a good homemade marinara so I am sure you could use for other meals


I added sweet pot. fries with my sandwhich but you could add anything or nothing at all.

ENJOY! So happy for this cooler weather!

7 comments:

  1. This is TMC's favorite sub-sandwhich that I make. It is SOOO good. I love it that my homemaker Loki daughter deal shares all her wonderful new recipes with me that she finds and fixes. THis is one of my classic favs.. and I haven't fixed it in a while, so it will be going on the menu! I do mix my meatballs in the sauce AND we dip the sandwhiches in the sauce as well. Sams has a big bag of Oreda Sweet Potato fris that are delecious too, btw! Hope you all try this..I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Dummy!!!! This looks super good. Maybe Saucy will see this and want to make it for her dear ole Mumsy! I absolutely love Sweet potato fries. The best ones I ever had was at Trappers. They are out of this world!! Oh, the sandwich looks good to. I would love to eat this. Saucy????? Thanks Loki. Your right not near as good as Hearing about "The man with the helping dog" Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I LOOOOOOOOVE THIS SAMMICH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh...yummy!! I made meatball subs just last night, but mine were w/ HB meat. These look so delicious. I will try them! I LOVE sweet potato fries too!!! TGI Fridays has good ones too. Flatire Burgers aren't very good...just F.Y.I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh When Oh When!!!!! I want to eat them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I substitute chardonnay for the chicken broth? The broth has too much sodium, but otherwise it looks healthy. Yum. I will try this as soon as I can find ground chicken (no ground turkey right now, it's been pulled from shelves) And I will add sauce to it. What kind of buns did you use? Hotdog buns or deli hoagies? Like Sara Lee - which are very good. I've never seen sweet potato fries...but guess I could roast chunks instead. Thanks for sharing Loki. I love new recipes too. And Stella needs a rest from sharing about Tall Boy and being too vulnerable. We will be patient, right everyone?

    ReplyDelete