Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Big T's "Big Ideas"

Loki: Have you ever had the conversation about what you would do if you had millions of dollars? Well, Big T and I have this conversation quite often. I am aware that this will probably never happen to me in my lifetime. He, on the other hand, seems to think that it’s just a matter of WHEN this will happen. He would like to think of himself as a genius. However, I do not agree. Sure, I would like him to be a genius… but he is not. He comes up with these wonderful “new ideas” all the time on how to become rich, most of which just sound illegal to me. No, he has never tried to get involved with those dumb pyramid schemes (things like Monavie or Mary Kay etc, that would be my best friend.) So when we first started dating, I really did buy into his elaborate plans. I even told my mother we were moving to the Cayman Islands. I don’t think I even knew where they were-just that it was an ISLAND and we were going to be RICH! I don’t remember what the plan was there exactly, but I’m pretty sure it had something to do with slot machines. Obviously, that never panned out as I do not live, nor have I ever lived, in the Cayman Islands. He has also wanted to invest in owning apartments, open a store selling electronics (and compete with Best Buy? Hello!), sell TVs, get a 2nd job doing work with a roofing company, start his own lawn business, open a drive-through gas station, design a baby bouncer/swing, and even considered buying my sister, Stella, a bakery (because I mentioned that one as a joke when I saw a sign on some open commercial space.) And these ideas are all just from the last year people! I can’t even remember all of the other crazy ideas he has had over the years, which I’m sure half of which were concocted while under the influence of alcohol (or more specifically Rumpleminzt, which is no longer allowed in my house.) I try to be a supportive wife and listen intently to all of the things he would like to do, and sometimes his ideas are not just about getting rich. For example, I’m sure my kid will have to have the biggest tree house on the block with a running elevator that he will try to design and build. It’s just the way he is… always looking for something bigger and better. He is a not afraid of working hard and I admire that about him. But some of his ideas just give me headaches. I end up being the voice in his head telling him “No!” instead of encouraging this creativity. But honestly, most of the ideas he has would take a lot of money to start or invest and so far I just haven’t seen anything worth the risk. Maybe one day he will come up with the “new facebook” or something genius, and we will be rich! (Yes, Stella.. I will buy you a house.) Until then, I should probably start working on my attitude and try to encourage him.. Right?


Stella: No. You shouldn’t encourage stupidity. You see, I am what they call a REALIST. I think REALISTICALLY. And in reality, Big T is not some brilliant entrepreneur. Sorry, don’t get mad at me for insulting your husband. But it’s the truth. If it sounds like a scam, then it’s a scam. Much like you, I do wish that he were some genius who suddenly made millions of dollars. Then you could buy me a house, and I could come visit you in the Cayman Islands. And then I wouldn't be forced to marry Sam Bradford for his $50 million! (Which is probably all he's going to ever get, according to lil bro, Batman, who says he will probably get injured within the first year, but could move on to be a professional golfer...) But no, no! Stop the madness. That’s never gonna happen and neither are Big T's dreams of making it big. He should just be happy he has a REAL job and quit farting around trying to think of something better to do with his life.

So what do you think? Should Loki encourage this sort of creativity? Or is this just nonsense?

1 comment:

  1. I finally got to sit down and read some blogs!!! This one is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete