Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Racism Reversed

Saucy: I spent a majority of my junior high/high school years wishing I was black…. or African American. I wanted to be black so badly and resented the white skin God had blessed me with. My mother was the only one who knew this secret wish of mine, and as you can imagine she did not understand. After all, throughout school you learn about how mistreated blacks were and how they were always the minority and what not. I confused my mother, and when she informed Curls of my desire, she was confused as well. Why would I want to be black? Whites are the dominant, most envied race. So why you may ask, did I want to be black for a good portion of my life? Let’s start with basketball. I played basketball for about 7 years, and that is when it all began. No matter what team it was, if you put your best white player and best black player against each other, the black girl will win. She will naturally be more athletic. And when I played school ball, the coaches thought it would be amusing to play me as a post player (the person that's supposed to be tall so they can stand under the bball goal to get rebounds.) So you can only guess who I was trying to out-jump and rebound against?? Black girls. Since I wanted to be a star at basketball for several years, of course that is when my dreams of being black began.

It all escalated from there. The older I got, I started branching out in the music area. Instead of just country, I started listening to Beyonce, Ciara, Ashanti, and other black artists. Well, I always wanted to have a beautiful voice, and no one can belt it out better than the black girls. And not only that, but they have RHYTHM!!!! Hello, I had to watch these music videos of perfect hip and belly movement and rhythm to the music, and I can barely clap my hands and sing at the same time. So that was that.

And when I got into high school my upper lip became a huge insecurity for me. I don’t know who else but me notices this, but whenever I smile, my upper lip vanishes. I probably shouldn’t have revealed this because now whenever you all see me and I smile you will have your eyes glued to my upper lip waiting for it to disappear ….. So I have this lip that goes away and black girls have huge plump lips. They will never need lip injections. So there you have it! Another physical trait to envy! Not to mention their butts. Even Choc Chip will agree with me that they have junk in the trunk that is envied by many.

Curls: Resented the white skin??? Hahahahahaha!! That's funny! I hate to burst your "I'm a cracker so I can't dance" bubble, but I have seen you move. And there are some dark-skinned sisters out there who wouldn't be able to hold a candle to your jigginess. I've only known 1 AA in my whole life. Her name was Patty, and she always made me laugh so hard I thought I would throw up. I mean uncontrollable hysterical face numbing laughter. It was painful. Saucy dear, if you had lips like a black girl then dad would make fun of you. He'd want to throw you up against the wall to see if you'd stick to it. And let me just say all those singers you mentioned are soiled doves. Or ho dogs as Choc Chip would say :) You should have better role models for yourself....Let's see....how about...hmmm...geez....I can't think of ONE entertainment superstar that I would want to mimic.....Maybe Carrie Underwood...but then again she was on the cover of that ho dog magazine Cosmo girl or whatever. Bad witness!!!! But who am I to judge?? Ok. Back to the original topic. If I had the grand opportunity to swap my ethnicity I would definitely be Asian. They are so cute!!! I've decided that Asian would be be preferable because I could never find cute junior girl clothes when I was 11-16. I got all of my height and "body mass" waaayyyy before all the other girls in school and had to shop in the WOMEN'S DEPARTMENT! I was mortified!! And I forbid our mother to ever use the word B-R-A. We had a code word..."Thingymajig". I would go to school and see all these perfectly fashionable Asian girls with there long luxurious straight black hair and wished I could be Asian too. They are always smarter than everyone else. A stereotype? Yes. But is it true? YES!! There was a girl named Ho (Haha! For real) in my algebra class who had the prettiest hair ever!! She was different than most Asians at the high school. She laughed and smiled a lot. If it wasn't for Eyes of Blue I would never have made a good grade in that blasted class. Asians are smart, thin, and controlled. EVERYTHING THAT MATTERS IN LIFE PEOPLE!!! And I really like Japanese food too. Orange chicken is my Favorite!! And Mulan is my favorite Disney movie!! Da foo do foo da Oiy Oiy.

Saucy: See! Take Patty for example! She was HILARIOUS! Black people are funnier than me too! All this talk of why I USED to want to be black is causing me to want to be black again….. But I think “Redneck Romeo” would prefer I stay white. Mandisa is not a soiled dove. She was on American Idol (if any of you can remember) and she is black and she could really sing. She didn’t become very successful, but that was because her choice of music. (she is heard on klove) Hows THAT for a role model? I am confused as to why you want to be Asian. I already have a physical Asian trait. I forgot to mention that when I smile, my eyes disappear along with my lips! My whole face just turns featureless and moosh! I do agree that they have good healthy hair though. But then you would be obligated to give me pedicures for the rest of your life! Hm... sounds good to me =) You should start practicing! They are also extremely smart. I think every valedictorian speaker at graduations is Asian. But I would much rather excel in athletics and skills than academics. Therefore, I will remain pro-black. This isn't to say I envy EVERY trait of black people. Like their smell. I do not, and never will envy their smell. Black people stink. And Choc Chip will be appalled that I actually wrote that, but I'm not trying to be racist in any way. But it's a fact. I still remember a few years back me and Curls took a shopping trip to Penn Square Mall. Well, while riding up the escalator Curls sneered her nose at me and quietly whispered "it stinks" and all I said was "all black people stink" (knowing that the reason for the uncomfortable smell was the black woman right behind us.) Well, Curls face turns into a horrified expression and right when we exited the escalator she darts off and leaves me. She sprinted to the other side of the mall! I’m surprised I found her! And to this day I’m quite confident the black woman did NOT hear my comment. Curls is convinced otherwise.

Curls: I suppose bantering is all about giving your honest opinion. Our readers today shall fail to be disappointed in Saucy's EXTREMELY honest description of a certain race's "scent". And yes darling. Mother will be horrified. We'll never get to be guest banterers again. And I hope only white people read this!!! Sheesh! I DO recall that lovely outing to the mall. And here is my recollection (People tell me I have a great memory). So Saucy and I are going down the escalator. I am in front of Saucy facing her (so I see a black woman right behind her) We are just yada yada -ing and I, with my overly sensitive hound dog nose, pick up on an unpleasant aroma. I say "What stinks?" This innocent question sparks something in Little Saucy's uncontentedly white brain and she just looks at me and blurts out with an inquisitive expression on her face (very LOUDLY if I might add) "HAVE YOU EVER NOTICED HOW BLACK PEOPLE STINK??!!" I promise you that poor lady heard you unless she was hearing impaired. Which it would stink to be deaf but at least you don't have to listen to silly little chicken honky girls telling you they think you stink like a cow. That was a major run on sentence. Oh well. This is recreational. Not english class. So yes, THAT is the true story of how it went down. And Mandisa is successful! You are automatically a success when you are recognized by just one name :) You know Saucy, It's a good thing you aren't Asian because you would never be able to give birth naturally. Asian women are just too narrow. Although after the baby is born they probably look like they were never pregnant to begin with.

I am glad that we are not all white. How boring would that be? I was convinced that when I grew up I was going to marry a good-looking mexican man. Goldenboy is good looking and tan. That's as close as it gets to Mexican.
Saucy: Mexican Cowboy wasn’t it? Or Mexican Rancher? Well Anyways, It’s obvious you and I have separate memories of that day, because the lady did NOT hear me. You just ran off like a chicken. And even if she did hear me, she knows it’s true. I wasn’t TRYING to offend anyone or be mean. I was simply stating the facts. I wouldn’t be offended if I was riding an escalator right behind a black girl and she said “have you ever noticed white girls aint got no lips or hips!” I would just hang my head in disappointment, knowing she has only stated the truth. I wouldn’t mind being Hispanic or Latina like Jennifer Lopez, she’s real purdy….. I wouldn’t mind being Indian like Pocahontas either. She can run really fast, and she uses resources from the earth, and she had beautiful long hair too! I guess I can wish and wish my unpigmented skin away, but if will forever and ever remain.

TELL US: IF YOU WEREN’T WHITE, WHICH RACE WOULD YOU BE??

15 comments:

  1. I loved everything about this. First, I love that I didn't have to write it and I just got to sit down and read it. Second, I love how funny you two are in your own weird way. Probably like me & my sister. Third, I had to think for the longest time what Curls meant by "1 AA".. My mind immediately went to thinking of batteries? Fourth, I love that as how Saucy has dreamed of being black, Curls had no problem thinking of how she would wish to be Asian. (I'd pick Asian too. Smart & thin.) Other favorite parts.... Saucy saying "my eyes disappear along with my lips" which makes her look Asian... and then telling Curls that she would have to give her pedicures if she were Asian. But my absolute favorite part was Curls recalling a different side of the story of the stinky woman... "I, with my overly sensitive hound dog nose, pick up on an unpleasant aroma. I say "What stinks?" This innocent question sparks something in Little Saucy's uncontentedly white brain..." hahahah.. Oh wait, but then I also loved Curls statement that was probably inserted for my pleasure.. "That was a major run on sentence. Oh well. This is recreational. Not english class."

    You guys must do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i loved this. You two are quite funny. I never have had the fantasy of changing races. I do envy certain traits of other ethnicity's ... and yes some stereotypes are true which is why they are stereotypes to begin with. However I do not think all black people stink. Maybe you are smelling their hair products and you dont like that smell?
    I do like the exotic looking girls... the ones that are mixed and you are not sure what mix it is but its pretty... I would want to be that, something interesting...if I so had to choose. Yes I was cursed with the disappearing eyes when smiling and Big T makes fun of my top lip all the time too.. giving me a complex as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU LIKED IT!! YOU REALLY LIKED IT!!!! Haha! Saucy and I had a lovely afternoon yesterday as we bantered away. Yes, I admire the mixed races as well. They always end up being beautiful. I guess they just mix together the good desirable traits of yo momma and your father and wah-laa! Gorgeous!
    Silly ol Saucy and her lip fetish. If she did have a plump upper lip it would look totally unnatural...just be happy with the way God made you!!! You know some people don't even have lips and here you are complaining about the size of your upper smacker. Now don't you feel bad?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I feel so relieved. I was so worried what you guys might write. Saucy, I did always know that you wanted to be black, but I did not know you were unhappy with your upper thin lip or your squinty eyes when you smile. I think you are beautiful. And....not all black people stink. Geez, I hope no one will be offended by that. Loved reading this. Good job girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Okay let me clarify...The only black people I have really been around were on the basketball court, and if you all were there with me, YOU WOULD AGREE! They stink. I never stunk playing basketball. It's called deodarant and body spray! The only other black people ive been close enough to to smell have been at the mall. and yes they smelled to....but I think Loki is correct it would probably be the hair products in that scenario

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very entertaining blog and comments. The things I have learned about my nieces from sisterbanter. Bottom line, all my nieces are beautiful and wonderfully made. Yes, yes.. we can always find something that's better on someone else.. but do remember God has his purposes and they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saucy, I have to disagree on one comment. Not ALL black people stink. Remember Jesse from SWCS? He actually smelled pretty yummy ... although that sounds kind of perverted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this was the highlight of my day! You girls offer a great banter. Saucy, I think you are beautiful just the way you are! :) I would like to say that I'm pretty excited that I was mentioned.. haha! I absolutely loved taking math classes with my sweet bestie, Curls! Those were the days. I do love that you both had different sides of the story. Curls has always had a sensitive sniffer! I don't really think they ALL stink, but I know exactly what you mean. I agree with Loki and think it is the hair. I don't think I could be AA since I have this fetish with fresh clean hair that must be washed at least once a day. I also agree with Loki, that If I had to choose, I'd choose to be mixed. I don't even care what variety of races...I just think they are the most beautiful, unique looking people in the world, especially those extremely tan/dark skinned, blue-eyed beings. It reminds me of the time that Curls told me she was mixed...that's why her hair was the way it was. I didn't believe her but I probably would have if I didn't already know her. That silly girl was always trying to get me to believe things! Love you girls! I vote that you make another guest appearance some day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off...Curls! You were riding an escalator facing backwards??? Have you not heard of the dangers of riding escalators? Next..I know several blacks but never knew they smelled. Hummm, as a matter of fact Saturday I will be hanging w/ a couple that are black and I will secretly be sniffing them now! (Brent’s best friend, his whole life is black) I will have to be discreet, wouldn't want to get caught smelling them!! Rude! Saucy, I never knew! Hummm, I just never knew that you wished to be black! I think you are sooo pretty just the way you are! (I might not think that if you were black! Maybe I would, who knows???) I had a toe insecurity in HS. My left foot, my second toe is noticeably longer than my big toe and on my right it is noticeably shorter! Crazy, crazy stuff, I know. I went through a non-sandal wearing stage. I thought everyone I encountered noticed my toes! How silly. Now I point it out to everyone! Curls, ...cracker??? How do you know what that means? I honestly just learned that they (AA's) refer to us as crackers! lol. "Oh boo-hoo! That AA just called me a cracker! My feelings are SO hurt!!" I don't think so. Soiled doves? Never heard of that one!! Is it just non-pure white girls? (doves ARE white) I don't know the meaning. Explain, please. I do remember your mom never being able to say B-R-A in front of you!! And...I have the movie Mulan, but have never watched it. Maybe I will soon. Oh! I guess I'd want to be Mexican. Free health care and I love to work in the garden! Now THAT is racist!! Don't panic, I have relatives that are Hispanic and I love 'em dearly. I am so not a racist!!!
    Oh how I love the sister banter! Both sets!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 3 favorite teachers were black in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. I loved them all and none of them stunk. (I think that is the only line that really bothered me is when Saucy said, "ALL blacks stink". This just isn't true. Maybe you could of said, "All black people that I have been around stunk". :) Anyway...I loved my 5th grade teacher most of all. His name was Mr. Caldwell and as he was teaching he would go to the open windows of the class and spit. ha/ha. I just thought men had to spit a lot. He called me "pudge nose" and I didn't even mind at all cause I thought it was a compliment! :) One of my husbands best friends is black as well and often his wife will tell us that they are in the wrong bodies, cause Computer man is more like a AA then him! (he can't dance or isn't athletic at all.. so she says!)
    Anyway.. interesting topic that made me laugh. You 2 girls are nuts! But you always have been a bit off! ha/ha.. J/K... I love you too and enjoyed the niece banter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Saucy, AA's usually have a distinct odor. And it definitely is not a very pleasant one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must add there are many white people that smell horrible too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well if beard boy commenting i guess i have to! i actually work with some black dudes doing alot of sweating and none of them have really stunk to me yet i can name 3 white dudes that smell just foul and i cant stand near them!
    id like to be mixed like the Griffins! really tall and athletic like thier black dad but white skin!
    oh and you both are so wierd! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do so love sisterbanter! Any of them, so funny. And Nana Bess and Choc Chip would be funny too. All sisters are so different. At first I was surprised and sad that Saucy had so many issues and wanted to be an AA. Then I decided it was just the age. Didn't we/don't we all want to be something we are not?Skinnier, softer, taller, shorter, blonder, longer hair, naturally tanned, or Snow White skin? (well, maybe not that white! Haha) I was pretty content with what I looked at when younger. Of course my sister wanted my blonde hair and to be short so I naturally thought it was a good thing. Never wanted to be an AA or Asian but do agree with Stella in that like the fact they are skinny, short and smart! Oh to be smart like them! That was something my mother always wanted and coveted for us: be smart like the Jewish kids in school whose parents always bragged at parents night. My Mother finally gave up going..she never saw any straight A's on my report card. And now I also agree with Smalltown; God created us just as we are..so who are we to blame/question a God who made us? Really..aren't what we are inside of us, character and faith, how we act and what we say more important than what we look like? But remember, it's taken me a few more years than all of you to think this way. Maybe because I'm older? No, mature sounds better! Keep it up though because it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah so funny! I was thinking Choc Chip and Nana Bess should do one too! They would be sooooooo entertaining that's for sure! Of course my mother would say she doesn't have enough gift of writing to participate which is untrue! Her writing is quite good and we know nana bess coud do it!

    ps im beginning to think there was a REASON i kept this aa secret desire a ....SECRET! haha i sound like a freeaaaaaak.

    ReplyDelete