Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Time in the City

Loki: I hate shopping with a moody sister. I was just trying to tag along yesterday but apparently I intruded on Stella and Bess' time together. It is rather hard trying to please everyone when all 3 of you have an agenda. I do forget sometimes that it slows the shopping down when I show up with my bundle of joy. I do remember lugging Bella around back in the day and thinking that I loved seeing her and being around her but that things would move more quickly had she not come. Although I dont think this happend until she was old enough to have an opinion on riding in or out of the cart. Not to mention that your entire day is focused around nap time. I really didnt have an agenda...just thought it was a nice reason to get out of the house. I relish in the opportunity to leave my house. :) I really love staying home but with me being out of work has meant that I cant go shopping whenever I feel like it. Of course it is Christmas shopping time so even if it isnt for myself, I enjoy it. I almost got everyone done in one day...and really only a couple of hours. I might finish up today...or maybe I should start looking for that job..eh?

Stella: I don't know what you are referring to. I am sure that I was quite pleasant all afternoon, even though we did have to do everything you wanted to do and exactly when you wanted and needed to do it. Sure, I had no problem not doing anything I had planned on doing since you decided you were invited to come dominate our plans for the day. Why wouldn't I be thrilled to get to spend extra time with you shopping for your family of in-laws? It's what every sister dreams of doing all day long. In fact, nothing brings me more holiday cheer. Oh well, the day is over with and has passed. Let's move forward. Speaking of Christmas, have I ever told you how much I love the Grinch? It is probably my favorite thing that comes on tv during the holiday season. We already watched it & read the book. They have little stuffed Grinches at Kohl's and I am thinking about buying one. (Only $5 for the Kohl's Cares program or whatever... They also have Max with a bone tied to his head.) I would have loved to play with the Grinch as a wee child... making him steal all the presents & what not.
                                                                                                                                     
Loki: Well no, I didnt realize you had a fascination with the Grinch. Maybe that is what you and Big T have in common. (Insert: We also went to stores that Bess wanted to go to as well. Not just me.) Anyway, moving on. I think it is funny because Big T has always had an aversion to Christmas and he would be grouchy about it... but now he is putting up Christmas lights as a job... and we were the first in our neighborhood to have them on and shining. He also wanted to make it a family time to put up the tree and decorate the house...the day after Thanksgiving. He is so excited this year...which is how it should be. I guess having a baby really changes your outlook on things. I am super excited about baby's first christmas...even though she wont remember it, I will. Did I tell you that I think Baby Blue is going to be getting so many toys and presents that I did not think it was necessary for me to buy her a bunch of things? (I know this is where we differ..) So we are only getting her 2 gifts and I am going to wrap some boxes for her to unwrap and play with too. Weird? Her birthday is 2 months away as well so she will have an abundance of things.

Stella: Yes, I was not a fan of the holidays as well until I had a baby, which made it way more fun. Well, her second Christmas was fun anyway. (The first one was spent hauling her around town all day and squeezing in nursing times as she was only 3 months. Not fun.) It's okay to only buy a few gifts when they are little or big even. I don't know why you think I would disagree with that. I just enjoy buying things for Bella. Especially if it's things that I would have wanted as a little girl. I only have 2 gifts for Bella right now as well and don't plan on buying her anymore.. (Mostly due to lack of funds though :( haha) But it should all be about Jesus anyway.  Bella has been playing non-stop with her Nativity set since we got it out. And so far, baby Jesus has not had to sleep in the bubble wrap.

Do you like holiday shopping?

6 comments:

  1. I hate holiday shopping! I love the grinch as well...perhaps one reason is because the grinch and i are similar when it comes to the holidays. my heart is two sizes too small. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame on you eyes of blue! I know your heart is ten sizes too big. You aren't anything like the nasty ole grinch, unless you are referring to the end when his heart grows big and happy. Yes yes yes, I love everything about Christmas. I love shopping and baking and aaaaall the decorations. I love christmas lights and the music. My only thing is now that I work I miss shopping in the day when most people are working. So I have to go in the evenings and weekends and fight the yucky parking. Thats the only thing I don't like. Oh, I miss all those years of being a stay at home mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy Christmas shopping!! And I terribly miss Christmas mall shopping. Sometimes I get it in (like one trip). But this year we won't be in town until just before Christmas, so I'm trying to get most of it done. Unfortunately that means paying for shipping and spending hours on the computer with price comparison. Today I'm trying to convince my youngest that Santa is not real (after watching Dora Christmas this morning).. and that Jesus is real! Perhaps I'll have to get The Little Drummer Boy from Netflix. They don't play that one anymore. And thanks for mentioning the bubble wrap.. that cracks me up remembering Bella's bubble wrap addition to Away in the Manger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an in betweener. I love the holidays and cooking and baking and decorating. I don't like to spend money! I used to enjoy it, however, but I suppose it is because I was so poor for a few short years! Now, I calculate EVERY penny I spend. I need to get over it and realize it's just money. I'm trying, really I am! I don't mind spending it on the children (my grown and almost grown ones, Big Guys daughter and my sweet grandbabies) I really do enjoy giving gifts it's just paying for them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stella.... (yes, I have more to say)December 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM

    So funny Eyes of Blue. I would like someone to secretly film you being unpleasant in any way shape or form. Until I see it, I won't believe it. Also,I didn't know Loki posted this and was excited to see a new blog. haha. I love baking, but this is THE BEST TIME of the year to bake. In fact, I have completey lost focus of being on a diet & have instead wrote out lists of what I want to eat. like looking online to shop, but don't think I could stand having to do all of it online Small T. Nor would I like to do it 4 months early. When I buy things early I just forget about how much I already have & have spent & just keep buying things. What is The Little Drummer Boy movie? We've just watched the ones on tv so far and have seen the Dora one 100 x's already. None on tv about Jesus, but Bella is well versed in the story of Jesus' birth. I am pretty anti-Santa Clause anyway. Why would I want to give credit to a strange man buying my child gifts? Nope. I want all the credit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I love shopping at Christmas time because it is for others. I hate shopping for me and only find things I like when I'm not shopping for me. Why is that? If I had to do it all over again, I like Stellas idea to give credit to parents and not Santa. Why should he be the one to give the one thing the child desires and parents are left with the smaller things under the tree? But when a young child loved Santa though "my" Santa never got what I really wanted..an artist set with paints and charcoal the works! I actually got the mini version and at least I now understand it was about the money divided up for 4 kids. Also like Stella, I like to bake and eat and have already purchased ingredients for Christmas cookies..with 2 sticks of butter, yum!
    And three people shopping is always hard so next time invite me and I'll go and we can divide into 2's and conquor! I do miss shopping with Choc Chip as she is so good to keep you on target and her fun rubs off on me. And kudos to Small T. who does online shopping. I have to see and feel and talk to a real person. But hate shopping alone too. Either way, Christmas is only 17 days away. Joy!

    ReplyDelete