Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bras for Gma's?

Stella: Now that I have a job, I actually have a few stories to share. Like how the other day I was stalked all day long by a grandma & her poor grandaughter. First of all, this old lady comes up to me asking me a thousand questions about the store & things like "What size do you think my grandaughter is?" and "What do you think she'd like?" All of the things I don't know about a total stranger.... But since I'm so nice and friendly (at work) I try to help her out just for poor little girl's sake, who is being dragged around by her totally un-cool grandma. And before you know it, her grandma is sharing her life's story with me and prattling on about how her grandaugher is at the age where she needs to start wearing a bra, but she doesn't want to. And how she's "gonna have to start wearing one pretty soon because she's going to be embarrassed when it gets cold and her nipples are sticking out." I think I look just as mortified as the little girl when the grandma was telling me this. I felt awful for her. She tried to look like she was busy looking around the store... I felt her pain. I would have been so humiliated if my mom or grandma started telling some random sales lady this kind of information. And I probably would have hid in my room for the next year if anyone had said nipple in front of me when I was 12. I was even humiliated when my mom ever-so-kindly just stuck a bra into my panty drawer for me to start wearing. (Bess gives herself mad-props for using this non-evasive technique with me, but I still didn't like it.)

Loki: hahah.. This is so funny. People are hilarious. I was not afraid or embarrassed about boobs or bras. I mean I was dying to wear a bra....to have boobs and the bigger the better. I have no idea why, but I was just ready to grow up. I guess it is a good thing since I was the first to have to do such things. I am pretty sure I even remember trying to stuff my bra. I don't think I ever went into public with toilet paper hanging out of my shirt, but I am sure I tried it at the house. Which looking back is sort of funny because I would consider myself somewhat of a tomboy back then. It really wasn't about boys..just boobs. I do remember that my cousin told me that I was going to have saggy boobs like my mom one day and that she would have the perfect juggs like her mom. Sorry Bess... I don't know why she said that because A. You don't have saggy boobs and you were probably only 35 then anyway and B. Her mom had fake ones. I also remember this same cousin and one of her little friends spied on me one time after I got out of the shower and then laughed about it. I don't know why this was funny to he,r but I got out of the shower one time and came into my room to get dressed. I didn't have curtains or shades because we lived in the country and my room was facing the creek...and trees so no one could see in. I remember looking in the mirror and then all of a sudden hearing snickering... and I look out my window to see my cousin and her friend laughing at me like I was something to laugh at. I guess my 14 year old body was somehow funny. Creepers.

Stella: That is disturbing! Peeping Toms! Glad I've got curtains and blinds! I am pretty sure Bella is going to be like you. "Oh, Mom, I need this bra. It's so darling! Oh wait, I want to get this padded one too!" I can already hear the words... They frighten me. For advice on these matters, I will be calling Small Town Aunt. (Hey, hey, it's a good thing we don't have to change her name since they've moved to another rinky-dinky town. No offense..) Or I could talk about them with Bess, but then that makes it even worse if you overhear your mother telling your grandma all your personal business. I don't know if Bella will be like me in that regard, but in my opinion, it's still not safe to tell Bess things like that. Bess has always had a big mouth. Can I just point that out?! It was one of the main reasons I hated her for an entire year in the 8th grade. Just for an example, she announced to my best friend's aunt that I started my period. I'm sure she thought this was just something cute & gossipy to tell her at the time. But hello! I NEVER even told my best friend OR MY MOM. I would have rather died. I just went about my business and didn't think anyone needed to know. But instead my bff got a personal account of the "big event" from her aunt and was so so mad at me about it for not telling her and starting before her. She even called me "Little Miss Period" one time in a mean letter. Geesh. I'll never forget that. Why were girls so anxious to start that up? Bet you regret that one now Loki. P.S. I am still slightly mortified about writing of my adolescent years.

Loki: "Little Miss Period"! Hahahaha How funny. My bff started hers in the 2nd grade! 2ND GRADE! This is highly unusual as no one wants to know about periods when you are 7. This same friend told me she might be pregnant in the 7th grade and I was horrified. I even wrote into Brio magazine about it because I had no idea what to do about it. I think that was the first time that I had a big secret to hide from my mom.  As it turns out, my friend had not even had SEX and was just trying to get attention. (Brio sent me a book about it and encouraged me to share with my friend.) Sheesh. I think we quit hanging out around that time too. I find it odd that things would happen to you and you would just keep them all bottled up. You  mean there are things that happen to you that you don't tell anyone? I am a share--er. I probably over share a lot of the time. I mean I recount every part of my day (however boring) it may be all the time, why wouldn't I tell on the big things?! I am noticing that your young Bella is picking up on a lot of our conversations as of late. We will have to start watching what we say. I remember listening to mom talk on the phone. It wasn't really that she was talking to me or whatever, it was just listening to her talk about things or say things that she wouldn't to me but to her friends. I think all children are embarrased of their parents at one time or another. I am sure you will embarass Bella one day too...and I will be the cool aunt who takes her out to coffee and explains the ways of the world to her. P.S. I keep getting told that "one day Bella will like you."

Stella: Yes, you tend to overshare. Just read the first few lines of your last little bit and you can see that. Like I needed to know all of that. Hah. I am NOT letting you take her out to teach her anything! Let's just get that straight. Then I'd have to pay for a therapist! hah. Now back to the topic at hand, I have one more story to add about weird customers. One lady come in and dropped $140 on PANTIES alone. Mostly cute little boyshorts. But $140 worth? That's insane. (Not to mention the panties were all 40% off at the time so that's with a good discount!) People are weird.

Do you think Bucky Covington got his teeth fixed?

7 comments:

  1. As you most likely know, I USED to have a panty fettish. (I assume you know because Bess knew and...you said she "talks"...lol) But, $140.00 on little girls panties is totally stupid!! Unless of course you are Kate Goslyn, then that makes more sense. I also used to have to match my bra to my panties AND the bra/panties had to match what I was wearing. S.T.U.P.I.D. Oh well...now I'm happy w/ cheaper bras and 'cute enough' panties.
    That poor child w/ her gma!! I know I would have died on the spot! I was like you Stella, I didn't want to tell anyone when I got my monthly gift! It was years before I talked about it at all. Choc Chip taught me to call it Aunt Betsy; "Oh geezzz..Aunt Betsy is supposed to visit next week". I do recall Loki would talk about most anyting and Stella would not! Oh yeah, I stuffed my bra once when I was 11 or so. I wore it arond the house and forgot and went to the playground close to my house and realized the TP was still in my bra. I hid in the slide area and took it out and left it there. HA!!!!! And...one more thing; my step daughters crazy mom bought her two bras when she was 7!! She is 9 now and is built like my 4 yr. old grandson, so she certainly didn't need a bra (then or now) but...she wears one sometimes. Sadly, it isn't a sports bra or beginner bra, it is a full out bra! Looks like mine, only smaller. It has padded cups that are slightly rounded. It is the stupidest thing ever!! She isn't allowed to wear it at our house. Her dad laid down that law!! I want to say to her, "sweetie, if you didn't have feet would you wear shoes?" lol...get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is Bucky C???

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post takes me back to one of the rare times I spent a day? or overnight trip at my Grandma's and she took me to a sidewalk sale and my Grandma holds up a bra and asks me if I need any? I quickly said no and moved on! Very embarassing! Also, this summer I did in fact purchase a few "starters" for my oldest (she would get these hand me down bras from friends last year in the 4th grade and so I would hide them because she didn't need them and they were hand me down bras). And funny you mentioned boy short panties because that's the only kind that my Tomboy would say yes to at Target the other day. She loves them and so does her older sister (who took the pink ones and matched them with a pajama shirt and now wants some in her own size). Now I'm the Mom telling too much private information! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha.. I DO remember that horrifying event, Small town! I was telling Stella about it when we were discussing this topic! :) I laughed at the Cougar's comments too! (and for the record.. I only answered the question Stella's bff's aunt had asked. I didn't offer up such information just in general chit chat! You, too, will discuss Bella one day and just like SM tell way too much information! Ha! (I would not wear shoes if I had no feet)..... Bucky did get his teeth fixed...(a top 10 finalist on American idol a few years back)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, That Bucky Cov question is RANDOM.... but yes he did I'm sure. Second, Loki I doubt Bella will want the coffee, take her to jamba juice instead like you did me. hehe. we see how will THAT intervention worked out. jk. I was more like Loki, i wasn't embarrased of any of it. Now Curls on the other hand....does "thingy-majig" ring a bell for anyone. that was her and chip's code word for bra. hahahhhahaha what a geek . this post was super entertaining for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saucy-- We didnt even go to Jamba Juice, we went to Java Hut (or whatever that COFFEE place is called) bahahah don't worry your mom took ME to Sonic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea at age 11 waking up to red spots on my long pj pants. Had to ask my sister who was horrified I beat her and had to go get the 'pads' ugh! (I was nearly 16 before I could even figure out how tampons worked - and it took my sister to explain it to me) So my Mom quickly got Judee a bra before me to ease her pain I guess. We never had pretty colored ones then and our Mom was so modest it was easy to embarras her. We didn't talk about anything - thus it was a good thing I had a big sister and girlfriends. I do remember poor Small Towns experience with Grandma R. I hope she's recovered and now is extra senstive to her oldest.

    ReplyDelete