Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Twilight Hoopla

Loki: This past Sunday at church the image of the hand & apple from Twilight was displayed as the backdrop to the lesson notes. The subject matter was concerning the media so we were pretty sure that the preacher was going to address the subject of the Twilight novels. Well, half of the sermon went by as I waited anxiously to see what he was going to say. I kept wishing that my Gma Modern was in there (instead of working in the nursery with the rest of the fam.) She would have been freaking out too. (Please note that at the mere mention of anything Twilight related gets Gma Modern excited...Hmm.. wonder where I got it!) Then he finally brings up the topic after much anticipation only to reveal that he has never read the books or seen the movies- so this is just speculation. He discussed the negative aspects of reading or watching anything that is worldly. He also mentioned that you need to know the origin of information before reading anything so that you know where the author is coming from & what their view is. That's when he brought up the fact that Stephenie Meyer is mormon... so he went into a definition of Mormons and what they believe... But I don't think this is a good argument for me to not want to read the books. Twilight has no mormon theme to it. It is FICTION. I don't think that vampires even exist nor do I think they could possibly bite me and turn me into an immortal. I am not holding out waiting for my Edward to show up... Although it would be nice to meet him! haha I think his argument was a little lame and he should have made some other points... Twilight does not offend me... or my grandma. :)

Stella: Yes, I felt no conviction about reading the books after listening to the sermon. Although I don't read them on a daily basis like some. haha. There is more than one of you out there! I'm also not 9 years old & I know where eternal life comes from. So there. I think you just wanted to talk about Twilight again. It has been awhile...

Loki: Well duh , It gives me a chance to speak about Twilight without you freaking out. I just liked how I could hear everyone in the church murmer once he started saying "Twilight." Curls was sitting right behind us and I turned around to give her a knowing look... haha Doesn't he know how strong Twi-hards think!

Stella: I don't freak out when Twilight is mentioned. In fact, it is quite the opposite. You are the one that freaks out. We have already established that when you & I discuss such things you always end up getting offended & upset because we do not agree. Therefore, I like to avoid such confrontation and hostility. But while we're at it, don't forget December 4th is the release of the movie Eclipse! Whose house should we go to for our movie party?Oh good, Bess has just volunteered to host the festivities. All Banter fans are welcome to come attend!!! (Even you, Eyes of Blue... Dimples (although I don't see you ever reading the books)... or other fans who don't tend to regularly comment!) Although we'll probably be dieting by then (being the week after Thanksgiving) so we'll have to come up with some creative snacks. I'm actually already looking forward to the snacks more than the movie. I was not such a fan of this particular film. The reason: The music. I am a big fan of the Twilight soundtracks. And I really like the Eclipse soundtrack, but you don't get to hear hardly any of the songs throughout the movie (like you do in New Moon.) So that's what disappointed me. Although half the people I have talked to disliked this part of New Moon so they were happy that Eclipse was back to having awkward moments & pauses like in Twilight without any background noise. I just wish all of the movies would have the same director at least... I bet Breaking Dawn will look & sound different anyway- since all of the movies have yet again another director.

Now... let's talk about the good parts of Eclipse... the leg hitch... the tent scene...
Loki: I didnt know you were a fan of the leg hitch! haha I love it. I can't wait to watch the movie again! I am getting excited already. I love Eclipse! It is my favorite movie by far.... It actually looks like a "real" movie. I don't get bothered about what music is in the movie or not. I don't think you should be paying attention to what songs are playing in the movie... OH and I would like to mention that I was watching Oprah (what a cliche I am!) and she said JORTS. It was hilarious. I will have to check LTT (the Twi website we read) to see if they heard it too! I haven't been checking their site regularly, but I did see some skimpy bikini pictures of KStew and Rob filming the next movie. Woot Woot. I must admit that Taylor does look better half nekkid but Rob is still yummy. mahahah. Gma Mod told me they are officially engaged....but I think that is probably a made up rumor as I have heard that for the last 2 years.

Let's just do the same snacks we did last year. They are diet friendly (more hummus and pita chips.. haha) Either way... we will be watching the movie. I love how this started talking about a church sermon and now we are discussing our Twilight Party.

Stella: Why was Oprah talking about jorts? How could you not love New Moon when there were so many funny lines in the movie... "They're NOT bears!" "Where for art thou Bella?" "You're sort of beautiful..." and "You gotta get that protein in there!" and not to mention a whole lot of other good stuff like big buff Jacob in the rain & fixing motorcycles like a real man. And I did see the "honeymoon" pics of the filming of Breaking Dawn on LTT... Eww.. That white bikini was pretty raunchy! So is this picture of Rob... hahaha.

Loki: "Aw, Beller is alive!" I love the guy that plays Aro. I am so excited about Breaking Dawn... I am anxious and really nervous. It was my favortie book so hopefully the movie(s) will be my favorite as well. The material is crazy and I just hope the movie doesnt come out looking like a sci-fi movie. (By the way, Oprah was talking about Jean- Shorts.. and then she said you know Jorts. She wasn't actually making a reference to Twilight. It just thought it was funny.)

Stella: Rob was in People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive edition. I actually bought it at the store the other day (using my life savings for the dumb $4 magazine just so I could gawk at some men.) I would tear the picture out for Gma Mod, but she already has a whole calendar full of pictures of him :) Hehe. Just wanted to throw that in there somewhere because I think it is funny. I also think we should buy one of the Twilight games to play. We'd have to put you & Gma Mod on opposite teams though (seeing as how you two have probably read the book the most.)

Here's a link to a website written by 2 Twi-hards if you've got time (that Loki refers to often as LTT.) They are pretty entertaining "writing letters" to the cast/director/fans of all things Twilight: http://letterstotwilight.com/

And don't forget!
Eclipse Watch Party...
Saturday Dec 4th @ 2 @ Nana Bess's casa

2 comments:

  1. yes, I am sorry to say I am hooked and obsessed with Twilight! And can't believe it's something I passed on to Loki..but then we all have our little family idiosyncrasies. Whoever knew I can get obsessed over anything for that matter. Oh yeah, I do remember playing John Denver over and over and over. Though happily married at the time. It's just a music thing. I like listening to music. Now Gmpa doesn't like my Twilight music playing in the family room (only cd player we have now) so am trying to 'grow up' and listen to all music that plays on my ipod. I talked to Carlon about Twilight who asked me 'don't they get darker as you read them? to which I said no, it's fantasy! Pure chick flick kinda thing..I mean it's about vampires and werewolves so how does mormonism even get close? The real issue is can I be a balanced, self-disciplined person and treat the books like any other book. (I am trying! And have moved to reading Jan Karon's books to get my mind on other things) No, I am not balanced or disciplined but that doesn't mean I'm giving up either. Does that mean I can come watch Eclipse too? Does anyone want to see me with a silly grin on my face? You'll love me anyway right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that I love this blog. I missed it while I was away! I just laughed out loud at Stella spending her life savings. I can relate! :o)

    ReplyDelete