Friday, February 18, 2011

Recipe Friday #3

                                                  Homemade Pop Tarts


Stella: You guys probably saw these little creations featured at Blue's 1st Birthday party this last weekend, and you might have even sampled one. Or two. So if you were a fan, check out my how-to-photos for this week's recipe and make some yourself!

For the filling you will need:

1 cup fresh strawberries/ or cherries diced & pitted (Since cherries were over $6 for a tiny package I used strawberries instead.)
3 T sugar
2 T water
2 T cornstarch
1/2 tsp almond

For the pops:

1 pkg prepared pie crust and wooden popsicle sticks

For the glaze you will need: 

1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 T milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Food coloring/ sprinkles
                                                  
                                               First, you will need to chop up the fruit. Chop. Chop.


Then add the fruit, along with the other filling ingredients, in a saucepan and heat on the stove over medium heat.


Stir up the mixture until thickened. Remove from heat and cool completely.


While it is cooling, go ahead and unroll the pie crust. One package of prepared pie crust will equal 12 pops. This box has 2 packages so it made 24 pops.


Using a pizza cutter, slice the pie crust into 1 1/2 x 2 inch rectangles. I tried to measure properly, but really just came up with a size I thought was close enough. But here it looks like I am being very precise. ha


Here's what it looked like in the end....


Then place a wooden popsicle stick on top of one peice of pie crust like so. I went ahead and put them on a foil lined cookie sheet for this part.


Spoon about 1- 1 1/2 tsp of filling onto the crust. Be sure to stay away from the edges.


Lay another piece on top... using your fingers press down all sides. Then I used a fork and pressed around the edges. Repeat until your cookie sheet is full!



Now bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until edges are brown. Since this was my first time to make these I didn't want to burn them, but I think I could have baked them until they were a little darker. Oh well.


While the pops are cooling, I made up the glaze, which consists of 1 cup powdered sugar, 1-2 T milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla (Plus food coloring & sprinkles on top)


Then I just spooned the glaze on top of the cooled pops and added sprinkles. Probably too much icing on these, but is that such a huge problem? No.


Once the glaze hardens, they are ready to go. And here you have some of the cutest looking treats ever!!!



Do these make your mouth water or what?!

2 comments:

  1. Yum. They also tasted just as good as they looked. And I love the pictures. Better than having to buy a book...I have Stella to illustrate how the recipe should look. Stay at it Stella..can't wait til the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhh......looks so yummy! I will try them!

    ReplyDelete