Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recipe Friday's : That Good Salad

                         "That Good Salad"

Loki: This is a salad that I love to eat. I know, I know... It's just a salad, but even Big T requests it. It is rather easy to make and extra scrumptious!!!!You will need:
Dressing:
3/4 cup veg oil  (or olive oil if you want to make it a little healthier)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic- minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

2 bunches of romaine lettuce
2 cups tomatoes - chopped
2/3 cup slivered almonds- toasted
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese-grated
1/2 cup Swiss cheese- grated
8 strips bacon-- cooked and crumbled. (I use turkey bacon)


                                                  First, cook up that bacon! And then crumble it up!

Here I am toasting the almonds....



Squeezing the lemon juice...

In a jar with a lid- Combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well. Chill.




 In a bowl toss romaine, tomatoes, swiss cheese, almonds, parmesan cheese and bacon.  Shake Dressing --pour over salad and toss.




There you have it! I don't use the exact measurements given. The recipe given yields 14 servings. I usually am just cooking for 2 so I just use much less lettuce and only pour as much dressing as needed. I save the extra in the fridge for later use.

Enjoy!

Stella: Here is our South Beach diet version of this salad, using olive oil, turkey bacon and fat free feta cheese. Also added in some strips of beef...

So....Whatcha been baking?

4 comments:

  1. that looks delicious!!!!! I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my snowy day this week I baked cinnamon rolls AND reeses cookies, the ones that we had when we went camping as kids and the other family's Mom made. Last night, I made parmesan chicken, green beans, salad and french bread.. a typical meal with lots of calories, etc. I do have kids to feed! The salad looks good, especially the bacon. I think I'll buy some today (real bacon though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was the best salad ever.. and I have been eating a LOT of salads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like salads with kalamata olives and cucumbers added and any cheese is good. My sister in law used to saute pecans in sugar then add to the salad. I like real bacon too. But I have been making and eating most of South Beach's salads and like them, but Loki and Nana's both looked good. I will make (actually put ingredients together) a chocolate pie for tonight..More healthy than cherry pie but still will meet the need for a chocolate dessert for Valentine's Day. Of course rib eye and baked potato and salad as usual. Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

    ReplyDelete