Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Event of the Year

Loki: Stella throws the best parties in the world. My niece, Bella, has had the fanciest birthday parties I have ever been to. I even think that they are fancier than my wedding was. She puts so much creativity and effort into just one of Bella’s little birthdays that it is a little ridiculous. She starts planning months in advance, and of course, the parties always have a theme. I am saying always, but please remember that Bella is only turning 4 this year. Her birthday parties for ages 1-3 were just as fancy. I do believe the older Bella gets, the crazier these shin digs will become... Poor Baby Blue.. Her parties will not be able to compete. (Unless if Aunt Stella will help out poor Loki…) Bella’s birthday are even referred to by the family as “The Event of the Year.”

Not only does Stella have décor that matches the theme perfectly, it’s all handmade. A store-bought banner will not do… She had to make one out of construction paper. (Saying construction paper does not do this justice either… But trust me…it’s over the top.) The party is this weekend so I haven’t actually seen all of it together... I have only heard of the glorious craftsmanship that will be on display. I would say that this is not necessary for a 4 year old, but Bella seems just as excited as her mom is. Every time I go over there she has to show me the new project Stella just finished. Stella has created a monster… Or maybe they are just monsters together- the monster & her clone. Oh, and do not bother Stella the week before the birthday party, she has a list a mile long that she is busy working on.

Stella:
You know how people say “GET A HOBBY!” Well, okay... So I’ve got one! And I love birthdays more than Christmas. I love my daughter more than myself, so what can I say? Bella’s birthday celebration is my favorite day of the year! Now for a few corrections, Bella’s birthdays have not always been huge grandiose events as Loki describes. However, they do grow a little bit each year- the decorations get better & more elaborate, the cake is definitely improving...

Also, I just don’t want to buy “character themed” party ware because it’s boring. I don’t like store-bought things because they are oh, so generic! I like to be creative. For example, I bought some plain pink paper cups. I got some brown paper bags that I had brought home some groceries in & I cut out strips of the paper bag so that it looked like a coffee sleeve. Then I taped it around the cup & tied a piece of jute (looks like thin rope) in the middle in a bow. Voila! A super cute cowgirl-ish cup that you could NOT find in the store. It wasn’t much work & didn’t cost anything either. Oh, I do not use construction paper, I use cardstock.

You should be uber nice to me, especially if you want me to help plan the most fabulous one year old party you’ve ever been too for Baby Blue. (I already have ideas saved up….) Just remember that when you’re making snide remarks about how spoiled my daughter is.

But sadly, I don’t think I will be able to top her party next year after this one. So… umm, next year we are just going to take a trip to Disney World instead.

Loki:
Oh my goodness! I am so glad that Baby Blue’s birthday is a half a year away from her cousin’s. Can you imagine if I was trying to plan a birthday for my baby at the same time this craziness was going on? Baby Blue’s party would definitely suffer. She would not have her aunt’s full attention for sure. I am just glad I don’t live with you… Otherwise I would have to witness this fiasco at the full-planning level.

I still can’t believe she is having horse rides at her party… She will be the coolest kid around! But I guess you are going all out for the "Cowgirl Chic Theme." Yes, the generic “Chucky Cheese” party is just that… generic. BUT- it’s EASY! And the kids have just as much fun! Bella would have just as much fun surrounded by her family and few balloons. But oh well- the fancy parties are fun too. Oh, I was going to tell you (and I guess I will also tell blog land) that my friend went to a party that was a big “Thomas the Train” party. They hired a party planner for it, who did everything except for the cake (the invitations, décor, bouncy house, etc) all for $200. She said the event was really elaborate, and I thought that was cheap! Because who knows how much you spend on one of your parties!!! I’m sure the Train party was probably too generic for your taste. I’m just glad we have Spaghetti Sauce’s baby shower that you can concentrate on next before you start hounding me about Baby Blue’s party…

Stella: Yeah, Saucy told me that I should be a party planner too. I said, umm.. No! Because I would only want to do it for people I liked & if I thought it was a good idea. And let’s face it, I wouldn’t have very many clients then.

How much money would you spend on a 4 year old's birthday party?

7 comments:

  1. I had one party I remember when I was 12. Boys and girls were invited and the big thing was playing 'post office' and spinning the bottle. I am happy about Stella's efforts to enjoy Bella's 4 year old birthday. Getting anyone over the top things isn't spoiling them. It's is expressing love. Now if she becomes ungrateful or unappreciative or bored that is another thing. But how can she when she is so adorable! I'm not one to talk about a budget but it sounds good. I just can't follow one so I doubt Stella can either. Most 4 year olds don't remember their very young birthdays but with a live horse I think Bella will especially because she is so smart and remembers so well. My mother went all out for my sister and I (joined birthdays as we were Nov and Feb - I don't how Christmas got in the middle so maybe it took place after the New year, I don't remember. But I do have old photos to prove we had them. Streamers, party favors, cake and ice cream and such. I'll have to show to Stella and Bella some time. I hope Stella enjoys doing this and not allow it to stress her. That is all. Can't wait to see it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saucy.... I like that. I made the blog! Im rather pleased with Stella's talent, and I still think she should be a party planner. But you DO need clients......so I guess that's out. But Loki you're pretty creative too so I've heard with your tu tu making. I dont do squat. So you're both creative to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment is completely irrelevant to this blog. BUT, our forty something year old teller came in today, a mother of four, WITH A HICKEY. and i just keep thinking of what loki would think =) SO i just thought i would share it with you that i guess people of ALL ages like suckling on necks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to think that Stella got a little inspiration from her Aunt Small Town. I once made invitations too and I do enjoy making creative b-day cakes. I am not as elaborate as Stella, but hey, if you have a friend with horses, then of course, have horse rides at your daughter's party! And yes, thanks to digital cameras, there will be zillions of photos to remember this "event of the year." Looking forward to bringing the gang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I definitely got inspiration from Small Town! One year I actually just BORROWED ladybug decorations from her! And her cakes always blew my cakes out of the water (until I learned how to use fondant- but I still could NOT use just buttercream to save my life.) And I DO only have one child!!!

    I told Nana Bess that she has thrown 97 birthday parties for us kids over the years...(27 + 26 + 25 + 19= 97!) Now imagine if she spent $500 on those parties- that'd be around $50,000!

    Crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and Saucy- I heard you were making some paintings! That qualifies as being creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well see,... I was ATTEMPTING. No way in heck are they gonna get hung up =) but i did try

    ReplyDelete